Rastafaianism religion associates with Marcus Garvey (born in 1887),who initiated the Rastafarian movement.In 1927 Garvey announced, 'Look to Africa for the crowning of a Black King, he shall be the Redeemer'. After few years his prediction was considered fulfilled by Ethiopia's new king, Haile Selassie.
Rastafarians believe 'Haile Selassie' as Messiah,who was crowned as the emperor on 2 nd November,1930 and was actually called as 'Ras Tafari'.As per the record,He was the 225th descendant and restorer of the Solomon's Dynasty,from the Queen of Sheba and King Solomon's lineage.
Haile Selassie visited Jamaica on April 21,1966,which was the historical event in the Rastafarian movement.Selassie persuaded the Rastafarians that - they should not immigrate to Ethiopia till they liberate the Jamaican people.
As a consequence, April 21st is now celebrated by Rastafarians as 'Grounation Day'.As on today,many Rastafarians believe that Selassie exists and hiding ,who will one day appear to lead his people to the promised land.Others regard life in this world,as simply the physical manifestation of God for a short time.
The name 'Rastafarian' cover a number of different religious movements which have developed on the island of Jamaica since the 1930s.Many Rastafarians are violently antagonistic toward the Gospel.There is no centralized organization which governs the doctrines of Rastafarians and there are diverse groups which lay claim to the name.
However,all of them have several common habits.like the American Indians,who took peyote ,the Timothy Leery took LSD,to attain the 'spiritual highs' and the Rastafarians consider smoking the 'Holy Herb' (Ganjah),to possess the Holy Spirit.
Haile Selassie', the Messiah
The Rastafarians get intoxicated with the alcohol,at the Bacchanalian Festivals in order to become possessed by Bacchus or Dionysius - the god of wine and ecstasy.However,the pious Rastafarians do not use marijuana (Ganjah) recreationally,but it is smoked for the religious and medicinal purposes.to achieve a greater mystical insight into the nature of the universe.
Many hardcore followers of the Rastafarianism follow the law of Moses and are strictly vegetarian,also keep away from the alcohol.The dietary rules of the Rastafarian are important and the only food which Rastafarians consume,is called I-tal foods,which is as natural as possible and does not involve any chemicals.
The Rastafarians wear dreadlocks to symbolise their roots and the separation from the straight hairstyles of white Europeans,which was,apparently,inspired by the Bible - 'They shall not make baldness upon their head, neither shall they shave off the corner of their beard, nor make any cuttings in the flesh'.Rastafarian beliefs were initially repressed by colonial rulers, but have since spread throughout the Caribbean and beyond.
During the modern times,the young Rastafarians,black and white,wear dreadlocks and have adopted the outward symbols of Rastafarians, without even observing the ethical and religious meanings,which has lowered down the impression of the Rastafarians and given a bad name in the wider culture.
From the very beginning Rastafarianism appealed mostly to the lower classes in Jamaica.Today, the discrimination is focussed on the prejudice that Rastafarians are unfit for work,since they are drug addicts.Also many of the employers opposed to the wearing of dreadlocks. One of the biggest popularity of Rastafarianism is its command on the Reggae music,which was made popular worldwide by the singer,late Bob Marley.
* God revealed himself in the person of Moses, who was the first avatar or savior
* The second avatar was Elijah
* The third avatar was Jesus Christ
* The advent of Ras Tafari is the climax of God's revelation
* Haile Selasie is the Almighty god,the living God,the incarnation of Christ
* Jesus had predicted the coming of Haile Selassie
* He was the one,whose head and hair were white like wool, eyes like a flame of fire,feet were like fine
brass,voice as the sound of many waters
* He is the eternal one
* Rastafarism is not just a religion,but a way of life,a struggle for their rights and freedom
* Rastafarianism is often linked with the black diminished population of Jamaica
* On August 27, 1975, Haile Selassie passed away,in a mysterious way.The Rastas could not believe the new.Rastas said that,it was a media stunt - some thought it as a rumour - Some say that true Rastas are immortal and Selassie's divinity did not die with him.Some also concluded that his atoms were scattered in the world and became part of newborn babies
* Today it is believed that the Ras Tafari lives on through individual Rastafarians.Groups which claim allegiance to Ras Tafari are the Ethiopian Zion Coptic Church and the Ethiopian World Federation (not in the Ethiopian Coptic church)
* All people are totally equal and are bound together by the one god - Jah,so we should not use you and I
* As per the records,there are more than 600,000 Rastafarians in Jamaica and the Caribbean
* Rastafarianism is rapidly growing among the people of all cultural and ancestral backgrounds.